Tuesday, November 1, 2011

$4 a Day Frugal Food Challenge

Is it possible to eat for $4 a day...and enjoy it?! For the entirety of November I am challenging myself to just that.

I am working towards eating healthier. Mainly by lowering calories since I am flat out eating too much. I love food and have trouble turning off cravings.

So the challenge is 30 days to see if it helps. I plan to measure as close the the cent as possible. It is easy in some cases, but harder in others. Such as portion sizing canned food or my favorite, peanut butter!

Along the way I hope to show that one can eat good food for little cost and effort.

Only caveats are:

1. Food to correct low blood glucose doesn't count (t1 diabetic so not flexible on that!).
2. I'm not hard lined at $4 on a given day. Hitting $4 as a daily average for the month would be a success since food wont always add up exactly to the limits.
3. I will likely eat way over budget on thanksgiving. But, its at a relatives house and wont cost me anything =P

Well, the first day, I've been hungrier than usual but made it through. The money limit really helps curb cravings. It's easier to rationalize eating more than spending more.

More progress to follow and pics of the better meals.

No comments: